Effective communication is widely agreed to be basic both to learning and to everyday life. English Language Arts programs aim to help students master the skills of communication while learning to value the cultural heritage of our language and literature.
In supporting these goals, the Department of Public Instruction addresses curriculum, instruction, and assessment in many ways:
- Disseminating and supporting application of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts as frameworks for state and local efforts related to the four content standards:
- Speaking and Listening
- Publishing and disseminating current research, theory, and best practices through publications such as
- Planning Curriculum in English Language Arts
- Classroom Activities in Listening and Speaking
- Planning Curriculum in Classroom Drama and Theatre
- Providing leadership and consultation to local districts related to curriculum development and instructional planning.
- Working with state, regional, and national professional communities on shared goals.
- Supporting professional development for teachers and teacher educators.