In 2007, the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) Board created the professional Standards Committee to assume a leadership role in the awareness and use of teacher preparation standards. One of its roles was to align the NAGC-CEC (Council for Exceptional Children) teacher preparation standards with the NAGC PK-12 Gifted Programming Standards. A Revision Workgroup was formed to carry out this task.
As a result of the efforts of this workgroup over the past two years, with input from a variety of stakeholders, the NAGC PK-12 Gifted Programming Standards have now been revised. There are several differences between these revisions and the former NAGC Program Standards. The revised programming standards:
- Focus on student outcomes.
- Emphasize evidence-based practices that are based on research.
- Are carefully aligned to both the NAGC-CEC Teacher Preparation Standards and the NAGC PK-12 Gifted Programming Standards.
- Reflect a much stronger emphasis on diversity.
- Emphasize stronger relationships among gifted education, general education, and special education.
- Are more specific and integrate cognitive science research.
For questions about this information, contact Beverly Kniess (608) 266-3706